Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:51:54 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undeleting files

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:36:34PM -0500, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Ok, I know that it's supposed to be impossible to undelete files in
> 	unix or freebsd, but my question is how this is possible?  How does
> unix/freebsd delete files in such a way that they are unrecoverable?  Just
> my curious side getting the better of me again.

It is not impossible in general, merely difficult.

There are basically two problems with undeleting files:
The first is that the space that was used by a deleted file is quite
likely to reused when some new file is created thereby making it impossible
to recover the old file.
The second problem is that there are not really any good tools for
undeleting files, meaning that you have to use a disk editor to change
the filesystem by hand. Not recommended for the faint of heart.

To make it totally impossible to recover old files the system would
have to zero-fill the blocks on the disk that was used by a file when
the file is removed from the system.  This is currently not done,
presumably for performance reasons.

(That still would not make it quite impossible to recover old data.
 It is possible to recover data from a disk even if it has been
 overwritten several times. Doing so is difficult and requires
 special, expensive equipment but it can be done.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson