Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:29:53 +0200
From:      "Patrik Jansson" <fbsd@aleborg.se>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mounting a large virtual disk

Hi list!

(my first time here)

I have a PowerEdge 2850 with a PERC 5/I card which I connect to a MD1000
storage system which consists of 6 SATA disks each of 500GB. I have created
a hardware RAID 5 of all disks and FreeBSD recognize this as /dev/mfid0. So
I go into sysinstall to create something to mount and then Fdisk complains
about the geometry, it says: "A geometry of 303672/255/63 for mfid0 is
incorrect." and that I ought to set this myself but I have no idea which
geometry to use. I have tried to just ignore this and use the entire disk
and then in the Disklabel editor I have made a label of the entire partition
(2326G). When pressing W to write it says "Error mounting /dev/mfid0s1d on
/backup : No such file or directory" and that's because it's called
/dev/mfid0s1c and not d. I have tried to ignore this aswell and run newfs
manually "newfs /dev/mfid0s1c" and it outputs a whole bunch of numbers and
returns without errors. But when I mount this partition its size is just
269G of which 248G is available. How do I use the entire disk?

Regards,

Patrik Jansson