Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:40:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pedantic again

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Pete Carah wrote:

> Someone added "-std=gnu89 -pedantic" to libcrypto's make; given that
> stdlib.h and several other places contain "long long", this results in
> several thousands of warnings about C89.  We need to either go modern
> or not but not try both at once :-)

-std=c89 works fine for slightly wrong reasons, but not gnu89, mainly
because of spelling differences.  std=c89 prevents definition of
FreeBSD's __LONG_LONG_SUPPORTED in <sys/cdefs.h>, while std=gnu99
gives a definition of _LONGLONG by the compiler itself.  stdlib.h etc.
only understands the former.

> Also usr.bin/window generates LOTS of warnings; I didn't spot just what
> kind.

Someone added -std=mumble which causes lots of warnings in nonstandard code.

Bruce