Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 00:07:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4-RELEASE will not install on Everex laptop

I'm trying to install 3.4-RELEASE on an Everex 486DX4-100 laptop
and am having no luck. When I first enter the visual kernel
configuration, I often get a message saying:

  kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address   = 0x469
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc016ac14
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0600d08
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0600d10
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 ()
interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Sometimes, I'll get past the configuration into the installation
screens, but before I can get the OS installed the machine
inevitably dies; the installer catches a signal 11 and terminates.

What might be wrong here?

I've tried removing the 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card I was going to
use to install via the Net; no change in behavior. Any ideas about
what to try?

--Brett Glass