Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:22:02 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        james@ican.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

> This manpage issue has been bothering me for a while.  Maybe we can
> add a flag to pkg_create to handle this or something.

...or create an ugly-in-a-different-direction solution of using the same
filename for both the compressed and uncompressed man pages and have the
uncompression process trigger of the file's "magic number" instead of the
file's name.

Or...is there a way to specify a PLIST entry in such a way as to say that "any
file matching this pattern is considered part of this package and as long as
at least one file matches, then the file is considered to exist", so you could
have a PLIST entry like

	man/man1/foobar.1{,.gz}

and/or some directive somewhere, maybe, to say that ALL of the alternatives
must exist, so that

	@alternative-exist ALL
	bin/foobar{,d}

to use that line as a shorthand for requiring both bin/foobar and bin/foobard.
...I haven't used the pkg stuff as a developer (or sophisticated user), so this
could all be an irrelevant tangent, but you never know...

Or wait for something like NT's file system/directory compression to happen
(no, I'm not qualified or knowledgeable enough to discuss the feasibility or
technical merits of their implementation)...with NT 3.51 (at least), you can
specify that a directory is compressed - then files that you put in that
directory will be compressed automagically.  Hmmm...I suppose that kind of
granularity wouldn't work in Unix file systems (what happens if you have two
links to the same file, one from a compressed dir and one from an uncompressed
dir)...oh well.

Just some though fodder...

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org