Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:26:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dk+@ua.net, proff@iq.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting devfs from userland?

> > The ino for the root directory (.) in any FS should be 2.  This is
> > part and parcel of making the backup/restore utilities work.
>
> 4034972160 dr-xr-xr-x   4 root  wheel  3283 Nov 30 20:52 /dev/.
>          2 drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel  1024 Nov 27 00:07 /dev/..
>
> now, for 16 points (and the car), can you tell me why I'd want to run
> dump/restore on a devfs?

There's no good reason.  But there's also no good reason for not making
"." be 2, and not having a 1, just in case someone tries it...

> > I disagree (big surprise ;-)).  I think /dev/sd1c1d2t0 violates the
> > principle...  At least with a hierarchy, you get a hierarchy in /dev
> > that matches the hierarchy on disk.  Better to have a valid map with
> > a "you are here.." than an invalid map, IMO...
>
> I think people expect to find their disk listed as: /dev/foobar3
> not as /dev/disk/scsi3/unit3/lun2/partion4

Don't you mean /dec/foobar3a?

I think it's just as cryptic... you're just biased by what you are used to
seeing... take your average user (which means your average Windows user)
and it's just as cryptic either way.

> > > If objection 1 violates POLS, then solution (A) REALLY violates it,
> > > though if we were designing a new OS that's what I would do.
> > > (it's easy to do)
> >
> > I don't think your "if" is true, so your "then" isn't true, either.
>
> heh!
> I'll show it to you tomorrow..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org