Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:20:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      callum.gibson@db.com
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipcrm/shmctl failure

I replied privately to Terry, but I perhaps should have mentioned also
that some of these segments were days old and they were definitely not
in use by any process. I logout at the end of every day.

tlambert2@mindspring.com writes:
}All you are doing is marking the segment as removed.  The segment
}remains attached by the processes which have it open, and those
}references don't go awaya until the processes in question detach
}the segments, and the reference count goes to zero.
}
}In other words, shared memory segments are like files; you can't
}delete them out from under programs that still hold references
}to them.

[ snip ]

Callum Gibson                               callum.gibson@db.com
Global Markets IT, Deutsche Bank, Australia       61 2 9258 1620
### The opinions in this message are mine and not Deutsche's ###