Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ad-hoc connection between XP and FreeBSD

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Tobias Roth wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did anyone suceed in setting up an ad-hoc wireless connection
> between a FreeBSD and a WinXP station?

I think that you did not provide enough information for us to really help
you. Specifically, what kind of wireless cards are you using, and what
firmware revisions are they? Also, what version of FreeBSD? You can find
this info for the freebsd side at least in your logs. You're looking for
something like this:

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xf4303000-0xf4303fff irq 9 at device 16.0 on
pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.01.01, Station 1.05.06

Intersil cards with Station firmware less than 1.4.9 have known issues.

If it helps you any, I'm running a netgear MA401 pccard, and netgear MA311
as a hostap on freebsd 4.8-Stable with both win2k and freebsd-current
clients without problems. I also tested ad-hoc mode just for grins, but I
leave everything running in hostap mode for real work.

Hope this helps,

Doug