Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:29:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Christopher Estes <ce48878@cp.appstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Few Questions on the DFE-530TX+ rev. D ethernet nic

Christopher Estes wrote:

> I have a dfe-530tx+ with the family on the box (rev. d) and i have
> looked in the archives for this group for info on getting it to work in
> fbsd 4.3 .
> i found PR25640 and patched my if_rl.c and if_rlreh.h files (i think, i
> just tacked the text onto the end of each file) but im not sure what im
> supposed to do to my kernel when i recompile it (if that is what im
> supposed to do). i am running generic kernel with nothing commented
> out. I would also like to add that while i was looking in the archives
> i saw a few references to this type of card or this chipset or
> something being "the worst kind on the market". Would i be better off
> just going out and getting a different card? thanks for any help on
> this subject.

Adding the code at the end isn't going to work. Much of the changes is
adding recognition code for the new parts. If you can't cvsup to -stable, I
would grab the RELENG_4 versions of those two modules from
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/. I have a friend in
California that fixed his system by just replacing the modules on his system
and building a new system.

Once he updated his system, he didn't have any problems using the rl driver.

Kent

> -ce48878@cp.appstate.edu-

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA