Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:09:15 +0530
From:      ashish@FreeBSD.org (Ashish SHUKLA)
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        Ashish SHUKLA <ashish@FreeBSD.org>, ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] editors/emacs to 24.1

--=-=-=

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:32:34 +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> said:
> On 07/23/2012 10:04, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I really appreciate your taking time to write this.

> As you already know, it works! Thanks!

> Specifically, I added 24.1 to bsd.emacs.mk, made it the default, and
> removed all ports depending on emacs-23.4.

> I installed print/auctex and java/jde (from the attic) depending on
> devel/cedet and devel/elib, created packages, installed them on a
> different machine, and ran Emacs. Everything ports related seems to
> work.

> I do not know, if you (asking for any feedback) really want anecdotal
> feedback about functionality, but here it is anyhow:

> Arabic, which is finally displayed from right-to-left, works in
> windowed mode, but for me, it does not work correctly with "-nw":
> While it is displayed correctly in a LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8 Konsole (KDE
> terminal), the order of the letters is changed just by moving the
> cursor through Arabic text. I do not think this is a problem with the
> port, but either with my setup or with emacs-24.1 in general.

Did you try other terminal, like mrxvt ? I think it's problem with terminal,
and not Emacs, but I might be wrong.

> auctex works including the Emacs server for forward and inverse search
> with a PDF viewer. Unfortunately as a regression to auctex on
> emacs-23.4, all buttons have labels and are really wide -- including
> the "Separator". Hence, important buttons only show up in wide Emacs
> windows. Anyhow, this is probably not a problem with the port, but a
> problem with auctex, which has not made a release for over two years.

> For my use, I would be happy, if emacs-24.1 was the default in ports, soo=
n.

Sure, it will be. I'd some personal issues over past weeks which are not
rectified so less slacking, more hacking.

Thanks again for your feedback.

=2D-=20
Ashish SHUKLA      | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116  20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
Sent from my Emacs

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--