Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:47:28 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is csup broken?

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:34:54 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:14:17 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
> >> Been using same script for years to fetch selected port files.
> >> Today I get error message
> >> Unknown collection "ports-sysutils"
> >>
> >> Running 9.1 and this worked in 2012
> >
> > Maybe this is related to the removal of CVS-related services
> > for obtaining src and ports?
> >
> > Have you tried checking out via SVN which now is the desired
> > default method (even though it's not integrated in the base
> > install and the "make" scripting mechanism)?
> >

> This is a catch 22 problem.
>
> How can I use svn when it's not part of the 9.1 base release?
> Have to csup it down first and csup is broken.

You actually don't _have_ to use CSV.

You can install SVN from binary packages via the new "pkg" command
(pkgng instead of traditional pkg_* tools).

Or you can obtain a ports tree first with portsnap or from the
installation media you've been using, install svn from this,
and then continue using svn to obtain updates for ports (and
src, if you want).

However, you're right about the fact that svn isn't part of the
base installation (yet?) and it doesn't fully integrate with
what worked with CVS for many years.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany