Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:51:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI regressions

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:48:59PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> > > I upgraded my laptop to 5.2-BETA from 5.1-RELEASE a few weeks ago and was
> > > extremely happy to find that acpi was working much better. However, after
> > > the recent upgrade of ACPI in 5.2-CURRENT, all the problems that had been
> > > fixed reappeared. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Dell BIOS A23.
> > > The symptoms are:
> > > o The acpi battery information is invalid
> > > o The acpi temperature information is invalid
> > > o The following message is repeated several times on the console when it boots:
> > >      -0166: *** Error: UtAllocate: Attempt to allocate zero bytes
> >
> > Try reverting sys/contrib/dev/acpica/dsmthdat.c to rev 1.1.1.17
> > Then compile/boot with a new acpi.ko.  I have a feeling there are still a
> > lot of reference problems in AML that acpi-ca doesn't handle.
>
> Reverting the file didn't make any difference (but see my previous
> reply to obrien@). I don't know if this means my laptop's acpi is
> buggy or if the acpi code is buggy (or both), but if there's any chance
> of figuring out what caused the regressions, here's the information
> you asked for.

Didn't make a difference AFTER you patched the AML or before?  Be sure not
to load your custom DSDT while testing reverting that file.  If you tested
this way, then your result is correct.

Basically, your ASL is buggy but I hope to have workarounds in our local
interpreter to avoid patching ASL if at all possible.

> My dmesg: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mobile.dmesg.v
> Original acpi ASL: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mobile.asl
> Patched acpi ASL: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mobile.asl.patched

All of these are 404.