Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:24:14 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good Mail Programs

Jeremy Karlson said on Nov  8, 2001 at 23:33:50:
> > Well, I really like the emacs VM package. If you use emacs, you should
> > give it a look. If you don't use emacs, you probably should :-).
>
> I'm a vi user already, thanks.  I just want to change mail readers, not
> religions.  :-)

Try mutt.  Requires some time to configure the first time, but after
that it has everything I want and more.  You can even retain the pine
key bindings (for the most part) if you're used to them.

It's extremely configurable -- you can set your headers, signature,
reply address, saved-mail folder, etc etc based on a variety of
criteria.  It also watches multiple mailboxes and has good threaded
display.  And more, but these are the features which made me switch
from pine (though I've heard these days pine supports a lot of this
too).

Works best in conjunction with procmail (the multiple mail folder
stuff I mean).

- Rahul