Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:53:20 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OS Tuning

Technical Information said on Jun 17, 2001 at 19:04:37:
> With all due respect, Matt, I'd think that UC Berkeley would be close to
> one extreme end of the educational spectrum as far as UNIX education
> goes.  And San Francisco is one of those rare places with so much technical
> talent that the employers get to watch the pigeons scuffle it out as they
> toss the bread crumbs out onto the street.

For what it's worth: one place where unix (particularly linux) is very
widespread is the physics community, all over the world it seems.  And
many of them are very good system administrators too, with no formal
training.  You'd find it hard to hire them, of course; my point is
that it's not as hard as it sounds and you don't need a formal unix
education for it.

From what I know of computer science education in India, while the
small "irregular" training shops focus on the latest Windows
buzzwords, the regular engineering institutes and universities (with
degree programs) are mainly Unix-based.  From what I've heard from
friends in the west, it's the same in most serious universities there
too.

- Rahul.