Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:43:02 -0400
From:      Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getmail problem

--Sig_/_PDg1DSoWBuQQNLjaUJ3VwW

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:16:29 +0100
Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 02:02:27PM -0400, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
>  > On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:06:59 +0100
>  > Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> wrote:
>  > > What could be the cause for the following error message:
>  > >=20
>  > > SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever:hawei@imap.free.fr:993:
>  > > getmail-hawei-rc: operation error (command: LOGIN =3D> socket
>  > > error: EOF)
>  >=20
>  >=20
>  > It would be my first instinct to blame the remote server, but I
>  > don't want to jump to conclusions too quickly. You could run
>  > tcpdump (or wireshark if you want a GUI) to get more of an idea of
>  > what's causing it. I have used getmail with Gmail in the past
>  > through a cronjob and it's worked quite well. I assume you're
>  > using the latest version of getmail?
>=20
> getmail version 4.46.0 seems alright.
>=20
> Many thanks for your quick response.
> It took me some minutes to read the manpage...
>=20
> tcpdump -X -r tcpdump.20150315 is a bit longer (6148 bytes).
> But I'm afraid you need to see the data as well.
> Also, I don't know whether it is safe to send the file on-list.
> So whether you like it or not :-) I'll send you the file.
>=20
> Thanks again,
> Harald

I looked at the tcpdump file you sent me off-list. If you want to read
it yourself, you can install Wireshark and open the file.

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like your client (the 192.168 IP)
is sending a FIN packet (third line from the bottom). This is a request
to close the connection[1]. The remote system then sends a RST to reset
the connection.

So it seems to be your end terminating the connection. It's quite
possible that it's something other than getmail itself (your local
router?) that is doing this for some reason. I'm not really sure where
to go from here; maybe somebody else can chime in to help.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Connection_term=
ination