Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:08:56 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, MikeM <mike_bsdlists@yahoo.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 08:59:51PM -0700, Alex Belits wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>
> > >  Really the question is much more basic -- who benefits from
> > > having Unicode (or Unicode in the form of UTF-8) support.  It
> > > isn't me for sure
> >
> > Everyone who works with multilingual documents.
>
> I feel perfectly fine with "multilingual" documents that contain
> English and Russian text without Unicode.

This is bilingual.  I have found myself in the need to write in English,
Modern Greek (one accent), and Ancient Greek (many accents).  This
is not possible using 8-bit fonts, since the glyphs for the accented
ancient greek alone are much more than 128.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if having Unicode support on the
console is a Good Thing(TM).

- Giorgos Keramidas