Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875 SCSI Problems

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Howard Lew wrote:
> > Somehow, the Seagate Hawk drive is having or causing the command failure
> > problem -- something that never occurred with the 810 when using freebsd.
>
> Try going into the SCSI setup on boot up and set the transfer speed
> to 20MB so it doesn't try wide negotiation.

I tried setting the speed to 20MB and keeping it at 8 bit, but regardless
of what I do the FreeBSD bootup probe still says it is wide scsi and that
16 bit is enabled.  Right after that it starts all the command failed
messages.  I flashed upgraded the bios and it didn't help.

Is there a way to force the driver to use narrow mode?  I know this hard
disk can do wide scsi, but I am using the 50 pin connector right now.  Is
narrow the default?  So if I comment out the code in the setwide in ncr.c
should that do the trick?