Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:41:24 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/spool/uucppublic

Hi!

> But he shouldn't get the idea that he doesn't need the "uucp" user and
> group, like I did (after reading that you shouldn't have users you don't
> need).  OS upgrade goes awry.  There IS a make.conf thing "NOUUCP=true",
> but I haven't tried it yet, so can't say how well it works.

I have tried it and can at least say that it has caused no problems to
me. Upgraded from 4.6-RELEASE to RELENG_4_6. Mergemaster notified me
that /etc/uucp and some uucp-related scripts in /etc/periodic/ exist
only on old system so I deleted these once the upgrade was complete.

I still left the uucp user and group intact, though.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.