Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:42:19 -0700
From:      Patrick Mahan <PMahan@adaranet.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        KERN-DEV <KERN-DEV@adaranet.com>
Subject:   Help with building private .iso media

All,

Asking this here as I don't see a mailing list specifically devoted to buil=
d/release
issues and because I think it is a little beyond the standard -question gen=
re.

Our product here is based on FreeBSD (currently FreeBSD 9/STABLE) and it ha=
s reached
the stage where we need to create our own .iso/memstick media to handle ins=
tallation
of our appliances.

So yesterday, after perusing release(7), I cranked up /usr/src/release/gene=
rate-release.sh
and capture the output to see how it was done.  And I was successful in get=
ting the .iso,
memstick and FTP site created.

So taking what I learned yesterday, I tried to apply it to our copy of the =
FreeBSD source
tree.  Please note that we use the provided FreeBSD makefiles to build ever=
ything we just
make heavy use of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX/OBJTREE/etc environment variables to con=
trol where every-
thing goes.

So today, I tried to build the world package by doing the following at the =
top of our
FreeBSD source tree (after doing a buildworld) -

  cd /usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/src
  export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/obj
  sudo -E make TARGET_ARCH=3Damd64 TARGET=3Damd64 distrubteworld DIST=3D/us=
r/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist

It failed with the following:

find //usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist/doc -empty -delete
find: -delete: //usr/home/pmahan/work/pm_ipr/ipr/amd64/dist/doc: relative p=
ath potentially not safe

But when I check the logs for yesterday's successful run, I see -

find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/doc -empty -delete
find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/games -empty -delete
find //usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/lib32 -empty -delete
sh /usr/src/release/scripts/mm-mtree.sh -m /usr/src/release/.. -F  "TARGET_=
ARCH=3Damd64 TARGET=3Damd64" -D "/usr/obj/usr/src/release/dist/base"

I read find(1) description about '-delete' and did a quick test that seemed=
 to prove out
that attempting to delete a fully qualified path seems to be a no-no.  But =
I don't understand
why it did not fail yesterday.  I suspect it is pilot error, but I am at a =
loss to explain why.

Any help, steers, slap downs appreciated

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick Mahan
Lead Technical Kernel Engineer
Adara Networks
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely the responsibility of th=
e author and are not to be
construed as an official opinion of Adara Networks.