Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:54:23 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Linux vs. FreeBSD

W. D. writes:
 > At 20:39 10/23/2002, Dan Pelleg, wrote:
 > >FreeBSD systems are easy to maintain. You can do a source upgrade,
 > >or a binary upgrade, and the system will go through it and boot
 > >to the new version without a hitch. On one system I have I've gone from
 > >FreeBSD 4.1 to 4.7, including every release in between, without ever
 > >touching the console. When a major version comes out, I typically
 > >upgrade 10 systems in multiple locations, all within half a day
 > >without leaving my office.
 >
 > Pray tell, how do you do this?

1. cvsup to update the system sources.
2. look at /usr/src/UPDATING and follow instructions. (do
not forget the mergemaster step!). The "drop to single
user mode" step can be skipped, at your own risk, which
my experience proves to be acceptable when the machine
is not too busy.

Read all about it in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

(do not be alarmed by the name - the same method is used
for the security patches, as well as going from one
release to the next, so it's as stable as anything you
get on a CD-ROM; of course you can use this method
to track -STABLE, which may occasionally not be, and
rebuild your kernel and world nightly; whatever
suits your needs).

--
 Dan Pelleg