Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:32:43 +0100
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@chen.ml.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

On 15 April 1999, Stephen McKay proclaimed:
> On Wednesday, 14th April 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> >Saw this on yesterday's slashdot news:
> >	http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html
> >I wonder how well FreeBSD would perform.
>
> I wonder also.  The load is much higher than similar NT vs Linux tests
> that I've seen.  And the hardware is all very, very new.
>
> People shouldn't be so quick to dump on Mindcraft, even if they were
> bought by Microsoft.  The facts of the report should be digested and
> argued rationally.  Then, if we find that Mindcraft have deliberately
> distorted things, we can dump on them. :-)

Well, the Linux folks have already come up with quite a few reasons why
the test was invalid.  A good summary is in this week's LWN,
<URL:http://www.lwn.net/1999/features/MindCraft1.0.phtml>; and another is
at <URL:http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric/mindcraft.html>.

I think the most important point to note here is simply that Mindcraft
managed to produce such outrageously *different* results to everybody
else that a closer inspection must be made.

Oh, and that we should have lobbied for FreeBSD inclusion in their
tests.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	"Value of 2 may go down as well as up"
		-- FORTRAN programmers manual
the system manager.