Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 11:38:54 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More compiler option comparisons

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Just for completeness, I did one final run of HINT with just `-O'
> specified (our usual default).  `-O' results in significantly better
> integer performance than `-O4'.  (Floating-point performance is just
> the opposite.)
>
> This suggests that compiling the world with `-O' levels higher than
> one is probably a bad idea.  (The generated assembly is identical from
> `-O2' to `-O4'.)  The `-O2' code appears to be less efficient at
> register allocation; about twice as much stack temporary space is
> required.
>
> For the graph, see <http://bostonradio.org/wollman/O4-is-bad.ps>.

As my own test shown hint reporded benchmarks depend highly on options
used to
compile libm, so to get more accurate results your must consider to make
libm with
the same options used to compile hint (probably better to make several
static
versions of hint executable linked with the corresponding libm).
Also please report your processor model when reporting benchmarks
result, because non-Intel processors (AMD for the example) can pepform
better with 486 optimisation that with pentium optimisation)

Sincerely,

Maxim