Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:36:23 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Chris Linstruth <cjl@QNET.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open files and Swap Space Errors (fwd)

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 12:01:13AM -0700, Chris Linstruth wrote:
> Actually, I readily get the errors from systat -a.  The system
> isn't grinding to a halt, it's just reporting swap errors and file
> table full when pstat -s and sysctl show, plainly, that they're
> not even close to their maximums.

If the sequence of events goes:

1. Normal
2. Problem occurs
3. Sendmail gets shot
4. Normal, but without sendmail
5. You check current system status

Then you'll never see the problem, because it's already vanished when
sendmail got shot. Timing is critical. You have to set up SOME sort of
automated thing to try to show the problem immediately before sendmail
is shot.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :