Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:41:23 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On 02/15/2016 09:32, Roger Marquis wrote:
>> This makes no sense.  Ports are not tied to base releases.
>> And you think lack of developer resources is an invalid reason?
>
> There was no mid-release issue with base as far as I know.  The issue was
> with ports and by extension pkgng (and related -ngs).
>
>> You know good and well that people kick the can down the road FOREVER.
>> You could have announced it 3 years ahead and people would still scream
>> NOT YET!  NOT YET!  This would NEVER happen in Linux!
>
> The announcement
> <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-announce/2014-February/000077.html>;
>
> was dated Feb 3 2014, leaving all of 7 months until the planned
> deprecation.  Even if you could make a case that pkgng was ready (it
> wasn't) 7 months is far less than the 2 calendar year and dozens of
> person-year cycles required by some infrastructure-critical production
> environments.  It's even farther from the 7+ years that other FOSS
> distributions support their releases.

> Roger
there several times against
its abstraction from command-line pipe tricks on the /var/db/pkg
subfiles... by portmaster etc...
[ if not, it was the second issue posted about... ]

Since upgraded all systems (almost all) to pkg. (Not without breakage,
sorry to say, but did one or two
reinstalls of the OS, thankfully not on often-used systems...)
And have  a near-seamless twice-weekly upgrade.
However, I would surmise it best to eventually (as I stated before)
re-enable the pkg_tools as  a
parallel subsystem ( sort of like a shadow fallback /var/db/pkg if one's
sqlite3 file goes missing...)
(or an urgent-upgrade path with portmaster -d -B -P -i -g (or something
if the usual one is broken..)
Or even a 'pkg runs in a sandbox 'pkg upgrade' AND portmaster -d -B -P
-i -g and actually does the
upgrade that completes without error... maybe examinable by the user

However, that is all just a subset of the wish list here (like reverse
engineering the MOVED portmanager
and making it pkg-capable... )

 And some schemes I postulate here may be more doable on paper than
in practice...

BTW made synth ccache-aware and ran it for the first time 'en masse'
today.  Unclear whether it with
the build-only command, did actual installs or not, (some were listed as
FAILED) but it sure was
*pretty* ...  (red, green...) to see.

Apologies for treading off-topic.