Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware-2 config

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:

> > Last question:  the first time I brought vmware up, it asked me the
> > location of about 5 executeables (I remember that 'less' was one of
> > them).  I answered with their correct full path locations, UNTIL I got to
> > one that I didn't recognize, I think it was something like "insmon"  I
> > went thru the sources trying to find real hard where this was called out
> > (I grepped for less, and just couldn't find a hit that looked right,
> > although there were a hundred uses of "flawless" all  right :-)
>
> I think the latest port doesn't cause this problem.  I supplied a
> reason why it happened recently in the -ports and -question lists and
> then fixed the port.  Check it out.

If you're talking about the path thing, my path already had first sbin,
then bin, then everything else (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin/ etc etc) so that
isn't it.  I have linprocfs mounted now right, and I was already using
your vmware2 port.  This seemed to be your target in the mail messages I
saw, was I reading the right message, about the path and linprocfs?

It is still asking me about those 5 binaries (and it still won't tell me
their names in the error message).  This is no longer stopping it from
starting up (now that I have linprocfs mounted right) but now, on starting
up the cpu in vmware, it immediately panics the vmware (not my kernel, the
vmware defines "panics" too) and exits none too gracefully

If you need a tester on this, running vmware2 (paid license) and current,
I will do that.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.