Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:34:04 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CALL FOR TESTERS: linux-f8 infrastructure ports

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:26:17 +0200 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:35:13 +0400):
> > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:26:07 -0300 Aline de Freitas wrote:
> >
> >> I was looking in the old linux-fontconfig port, and realize that there is a
> >> custom fonts.conf in the files dir. So, sure, that was the trick.
> >> Then, I've put
> >> this stuff in the new linux-f8-fontconfig, and yes, it works!
> >
> > Good news, thanks! I'll take care of it later (tomorrow?).

> AFAIR the reason for the fonts.conf in there was, that the updated
> native fontconfig was incompatible for the config file with the linux
> one. The goal is that the linux fontconfig uses the native fontconfig
> configuration. We need to investigate this further. Maybe the versions
> are still incompatible.

As for me I think that they should be compatible (as I recall the
configuration file format changed at fontconfig 2.4.0).

> Note, if you run fc-cache, I think this will create some files in the
> directories where the fonts are. This should not be done with the
> linux version of fc-cache, as this will overwrite the files from the
> native fc-config run. Ideally they should be compatible, but I prefer
> if the fc-cache runs is done by the font ports, not by the
> linux-fontconfig ports. I don't think it is a good idea that the linux
> ports influence the native ports.

Agreed.

> Bottom line: I don't think it is as easy as the patch suggests. There
> needs to be some more investigation (Does linux fontconfig fall
> through to the right file for the native fontconfig configuration? Are
> they compatible? ...).

I can't reproduce font problems which Aline has (seems because I have
some fonts at !/.fonts). But his success (and a patch where font
directories were listed) gave me some food too think. And now I'm sure
that all we need is to provide at /compat/linux/etc a link to the
directory with native FreeBSD configuration of fontconfig. Then
only native fc-cache, fonts, font ports, font directories will be
used.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)