Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:42:56 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Developer assessment (was Re: A bike shed ...)

"Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Why the hell does the clueless newbie hordes expects any answer when
> posting a message to a list without reading the list charter and
> without a single clue of how the list works is beyond me.

     No one's disputing this.  In fact, I agree with you.

> Of course, that's no reason to be impolite to these newbies. I'm
> just explaining that they have no place here in this list, and
> that's that. It's not a newbies list. Now, if the newbie in question
> keeps inflicting his cluelessness upon us, he *will* get hammered
> back. That just happens when you keep annoying people.

     There's the problem.  While I agree with you about persistent,
annoying, and utterly clueless newbies, I don't agree with the apparent
sentiment (with which you may or may not agree) where all newbies (and
not just in -hackers) should be flamed and roasted.  I've seen perfectly
innocent questions (asked once), from non-persistent/non-annoying
newbies, get flamed in -questions.

> I recall you complaining about being ignored three times.

     Heh.  It wasn't me complaining.  You need to go back and read the
thread.

> >      This is, believe it or not, a reasonable
> > question/belief/expectation.  If it's really asked that commonly, why
> > not turn it into a FAQ?
>
> That's actually a good idea. Tell you what, you read the previous
> threads and prepare a good FAQ entry in docbook, send me the patches
> and I'll commit it.

     I'll take you up on this, if you can guarantee that it'll show up
on the FreeBSD web page FAQ in a reasonable period of time (say,
preferably under two weeks, but definitely under a month).  A couple of
years ago, I did submit some FAQ entries, which seemingly took a
geologically long period of time to appear in a useful location (the web
page).  And this is why I stopped writing FAQ entries: if I write a FAQ
entry, I want it to be useful and made available to those who need it --
I don't want it to sit around buried in the repository, where only the
people who don't need it have access to it.

     Of course, this was a couple of years ago, and things may have
changed.  However, as the FreeBSD FAQ still appears to say that it's for
2.X (it's confusing, actually), perhaps not.

[ And, yes, I'm more than willing to submit proper docbook patches, if
  they'll be made available to newbies (e.g., on the web page FAQ)
  within a reasonable amount of time.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.