Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:09:30 +0300 (EEST)
From:      slava revutchi <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   is this a bug in 'pw'?

hi

I tryed the following little script on a 10K user system runing 3.3R:

/usr/sbin/pw useradd some_user &
/usr/sbin/pw useradd onother_user &

and it always crashes my master.passwd and the related .db files:

"[rocks:/var/spool] # ps pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #6395
pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format
pw: password update: Input/output error"

It only takes to stick a 'sleep 1' between the two 'pw' lines and
everything goes well.

Can anyone explain this? Can this be fixed somehow?

I tryed it on a number of machines and the result is the same and this
is what is actually craching one of my web based email machines at least
once a day when two users try to open new accounts simultaniously.

any suggestions appreciated.
thank you,
slava revutchi