Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:21:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk errors with 2.2B

> >I just upgraded one of the disks in my dual-disk workstation to 2.2B
> >(via CVS) from an old version of -current (June).
> >
> >The box (is running) 2.1.6.1 fine, and was running the older version of
> >-current w/out problems until yesterday.
> >
> >Now, at bootup I get the following errrors:
> >wd0s5c: hard error reading fsbn 1wd0: status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> \
> >	error 10<no_id>
> >wd0s6c: hard error reading fsbn 1wd0: status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> \
> >	error 10<no_id>
> >wd0s7c: hard error reading fsbn 1wd0: status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> \
> >	error 10<no_id>
> >wd0s8c: hard error reading fsbn 1wd0: status 59<rdy,seekdone,drq,err> \
> >	error 10<no_id>
> >
> >These devices don't exist in /dev, nor do I have anything in my
> >partition table for these.  The disk has 3 'slices', DOS, Win95, and
> >FreeBSD and no extended anything.
>
> It probably does have an extended slice with garbage entries to get
> those errors.  I don't think you can have 2 DOS/Win95 slices without
> an extended slice.

Actually, it doesn't.  In order to install Win95 on the box I 'modified'
the original DOS slice to be of type SCO, then installed Win95 so it
could be a bootable partition.  Then, I changed it back.  (I used pfdisk
to do this, which allows you to change the type w/out modifying anything
else).

Like I said, it works fine with 2.1.6, but 2.2B chokes on it.

Nate