Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:22:15 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd issues...

Hi Dylan,

There's nothing obviously wrong in there, so here are some debugging
tips:

	look at /var/log/security, where the messages from ipfw "log"
	rules go

	add "log" to ALL deny rules until you have a better idea of
	what's going on

	confirm that natd is actually running

	run natd manually with the -v option to get a listing of it
	translating packets

Personally, I have a rule fairly early on that creates a log message
for every TCP connection:

	${fwcmd} add count log tcp from any to any in setup

It gives me a permanent record of all my TCP connections.  For
debugging, you may want to have it in twice: once at the beginning
of your ruleset, and once just after the "divert" rule, so you can
see what hit your firewall, and what it looked like after translation.

Cheers

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319