Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 95 19:31:42 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

> >From these three I determine that there is only a weak, if any, relation
> between the geometry(disklabel) and geometry(filesystem).
>
> I don't see any point in having the device-drivers even know about geometry,
> considering that LFS for instance doesn't care a hoot, and I will strongly
> work to get the ties already in place broken.

1.	Physical volume spanning.  Like AIX, it is useful to have a
	logical partition on which you actually build your file system
	capable of spanning one or more phical partitions on one or
	more physical drives.

2.	Ability to mount partitions using different physical layout
	strategies between machines running the same OS.  Ie: a DEC
	Alpha Syquest disk on a 386 box.

To name two.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu