Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 11:20:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Waiting for SCSI devices to settle?

Hello,

Firstly I have just installed FreeBSD, and it was a breeze. Great!

Now, I have already moved onto the 2.1.0-Development, (the second feb snapshot)
soley because of our SCSI controller.

Hardware in use:

Intel P90 with 32MB RAM
522MB IDE boot disk with PCI 32-data path
D-Link 220 Ethernet Card ISA
Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
2.1GB SCSI-2 disk

There seems to be an intermittent problem on boot-up.

A high proportion of boots, say, 4 out of 5, result in the
system hanging after it finds the pci hardware and scsi controller, and says
"Waiting for SCSI devices to settle"  after 5 secs or so the
Adaptec controller light stays permanently on, which I am told is a bad sign.
The system hangs like that indefinitely, (well I waited 30 mins anyway:-).

Yet, sometimes, it boots ok and there is only a 2-3 sec gap after the Waiting
For message; the drive is found as sd0 and the splendour of FreeBSD awaits
usage.

What could this be down to?  Remote reboots are a distinct possibilty :-)
and having to repeatedly power-cycle the machine for a "good" boot is
not something that we can do remotely yet.

As an aside we want to use this machine as a USENET machine running INN,
anyone with any experience of this?  I know the port exists but anyone
using it in anger?

I could not get the 1st Feb Snapshot to work at all with the scsi disk.

Thanks,
Jake Dias
PC User Group Support