Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:45:12 -0500
From:      Daniel Corbe <corbe@corbe.net>
To:        Janos Dohanics <web@3dresearch.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advice on net/asterisk

I'm not sure if the situation has changed any since the last time I
tried this back in 2012; however..

Get married to the idea of never being able to do transcoding of any
kind.  The state of the Zaptel drivers (which are necessary to support
error-free transcoding) on FreeBSD were in a pretty sorry state last I
checked.  Our FreeBSD asterisk servers produced "chopiness" in the audio
stream and it was practically unusable.

It's not very often I say this but sometimes you just need to pick the
right tool for the job.  Asterisk was designed from the ground up to run
on Linux.  I've got dedicated Linux VMs for my Asterisk PBX and I pretty
much run FreeBSD on everything else.

-Daniel