Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:40:05 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslog notifications?

--t1CmwkW5H+10rlDA

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 01:33:07PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Before I try to reinvent the wheel, I'd like to hear are there commonly
> used utilities that process syslog logs (e.g. /var/log/messages), grep
> them for some regex and notify configured e-mail addresses, in real time
> (as messages arrive)? I imagine something like that would either do a
> "tail -f" on log files or listen as a syslog filter.

This appears to resemble something of interest:
freebeast(6.3-S)[18] cat /usr/ports/security//swatch/pkg-descr
SWATCH - The Simple WATCHer and filter

Swatch is designed to  monitor  system  activity.   Swatch
requires a configuration file which contains pattern(s) to
look for and action(s) to do when each pattern is found.

WWW: http://swatch.sourceforge.net/
freebeast(6.3-S)[19]=20

Caveat:  I've not used it, though I've seen references to it.

Peace,
david
--=20
I submit that "conspiracy" would be an appropriate collective noun for cats.

--t1CmwkW5H+10rlDA

--t1CmwkW5H+10rlDA--