Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:28:27 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS writes and ZFS

I have a FreeBSD server (which I use as a NAS device, among other things)=20
and a FreeBSD deskop. The desktop is running 7-STABLE from a couple days=20
ago and the server is running 8-CURRENT from yesterday. The server has=20
several NFS-exported ZFS'es which I mount from the desktop. Since moving=20
the shares to ZFS I've been having trouble writing to them from the=20
desktop--the mount hangs after the first or second attempt. This is=20
similar if not identical to what's described in the thread=20
(from -current) I partially copied below.

Today I discovered that the problem seems to go away if I change the NFS=20
mount options on the desktop. The following is a summary/timeline of what=20
I've tried:

7-STABLE client, no NFS options (defaults); 7-STABLE server, UFS; works
7-STABLE client, no NFS options (defaults); 7-STABLE server, ZFS; broken
7-STABLE client, no NFS options (defaults); 8-CURRENT server, ZFS; broken
7-STABLE client, tcp,nfsv3,-r32768,-w32768; 8-CURRENT server, ZFS, works

My litmus test is to run fetch in the NFS directory a couple times since=20
in my typical usage the failure is most apparent when fetching distfiles=20
to the shared ports tree.

I didn't do a thorough search but I don't see any open PR's about this=20
issue (though I remember the thread below and other discussions about the=20
same time). Should I submit one?

Other than that I just wanted to report that 1) this is apparently (still)=
=20
an issue and 2) the NFS flags above seem like a good workaround so far.

Thanks,

JN