Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:32:59 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        John Indra <john@naver.co.id>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT and -STABLE against XFree86 4.0.2 problem

Thank god other people are having trouble with XFree86 4.0.2 and the
i810 chipset, I was beginning to think I was going crazy. Even the guys
in #freebsd (irc.openprojects.net) think I'm an idiot because I can't
get it working =)

The problem is actually worse than a simple lockup. The server crashes
whenever I change virtual terminals. When I try to go back to ttyv8
(which holds my Xserver), it crashes with a "Fatal Error: lockup"
message. An attempt to restart the server will show me a garbled-color
screen, and then my display shuts off altogether, until I reboot (my
monitor tells me the scan frequency is out of range; I don't know what's
going on in there).

I'm certainly not a code warrior, and I have absolutely no experience
with agp-related programming in X or otherwise, but I did try to patch
it (failing miserably). I've noticed that the I810FreeGART function is
commented out in the driver, which leads me to believe that Linux
automatically handles GART cleanup when the memory is no longer needed.
However, if the FreeBSD agpgart code does not handle cleanup, it could
be the source of this bug, since the xserver would then be unable to
gain access to memory.

Just a thought, remember that I know nothing about AGP programming.

I would really like to see this problem fixed. Currently I am using
XFree86 4.0.1, which bothers me simply on principle that I can't
upgrade :)

Thanks,
Andrew Hesford