Date:      18 Jul 2001 22:46:31 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, neil@darlow.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Source Update is incomplete?

neil@darlow.co.uk (Neil Darlow) writes:

> I've just updated my system from 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELENG_4_3 via
> a source rebuild.
>
> The build/installworld and build/installkernel went without errors but
> I find that the update is incomplete i.e.:
>
> 1) Some header files in /usr/include haven't been replaced

That's not necessarily a problem, and you didn't indicate any reason
for thinking it was.  Some of them may be obsolete, in which case
they're unnecessary, but also not hurting anything.  And some of them
haven't changed in years, so depending on the options you're using on
install(1), you wouldn't expect them to be 'replaced.'

> 2) Some libraries in /usr/lib e.g. lib???_p.a were files under 4.2 and
>    are symlinks under 4.3 haven't been updated

You mean the profiled libraries?  They're normally built by default,
but unless you were deliberately using them in place of the unprofiled
versions, you won't miss them, either.  Make sure that the
"NOPROFILE=true" line is commented out of /etc/make.conf, and those
should get updated next time around.

[One of my suspicions is that you either edited files in
/etc/defaults, or you failed to update them as part of your upgrade
process.  Either way would be mistake, although not particularly
fatal.]

> How do I go about reconciling this mess? I'm beginning to think that
> source-level updates are not the way to go.

What mess?  What isn't working?  So far, it's not clear to me that
there is any actual *problem* here...