Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:17:37 +0000
From:      Matthew Faircliff <janowellfine@telkomsa.net>
To:        Asenchi <asenchi@asenchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall + Cable Modem

A firewall set to accept by default has the last rule in the chain as an accept rule. The opposite goes for deny, whereby the last rule is a deny rule (this is the most common way to set up a firewall).

The firewall is not the problem. Leave the inetd running, just comment out all the services you don't need in inetd.conf.

Do you use ppp to connect to your ISP via a tunnel? Are you using an internal cable modem? Did you try comment out the DHCP line in your rc.conf?

Matt.