Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 14:19:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu (William Wong), wes@xmission.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laws of Physics (was Re: SCSI A/V drives)

> So in order of "importance" for marketability:
>
> 1)	Ability to get an interview.
> 2)	Ability to sell yourself in an interview.
> 3)	Ability to do what you claimed you could so that you keep
> 	the job.

Terry Terry Terry, now we *know* you're an academic.  None of this has
been relevant in Dilbert's America for some time - I think you must
have been looking in one of those Job Strategy Handbook's from the
50's again (the tip-off is when the illustrations all have hairstyles
like June and Ward Cleaver).  Here's the modern version:

1)	Ability to get an interview.
2)	Ability to sell yourself in an interview.
3)	Ability to appear like you're working hard so that you can keep
	the job.
4)	Ability to delegate tasks to others so that nothing ever actually
	winds up in your inbox, where it could damage your career.
5)	Ability to call attention to the previous strategy during your
	golf games with the boss in such a way that it makes you look
	like great management material.
6)	Ability to get promoted to management, where you can now walk around
	the office all day with a cup of coffee, hassling people and appearing
	like the kind of "hands-on" manager they need rather than just some
	jerk who has no actual job of his own.
7)	Ability to write memos containing so much jargon that nobody can
	actually understand just what it is you're talking about, making
	you a clear and acknowledged expert of some sort.
8)	Ability to cash out your hefty stock options at age 40 and retire
	to become a "management consultant", giving pricey seminars to others
	about your 8 step program for success.

Needless to say, the degree is not that important a component.  If you
want a bragging wall in your office, it's also far better to cover it
with certificates of completion from various training seminars (see
#8) claiming that you've been Crosbyized, Fagin Processed and
personally certified as ISO-9000 compliant.  Since these will also
enable you to spend up to 60% of your time away from the office in
training, it's another good way of avoiding any actual work.

If you're going to instruct the impressionable youth on this mailing
list, Terry, at least make the effort to stay current.  Thanks.

						Jordan