Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:55:37 +0100
From:      Firas Kraiem <firas@fkraiem.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just wanted to install vim - had to spend entire day building X11

On 10/01/11 14:02, Ed Smith wrote:
> This seems bizarre.  Logically, it would seem better to do a split like
> vim (bare vim - what you would expect) and xvim (vim with X11) similar
> to how emacs does emacs/xemacs.

Totally different thing.  The emacs port install GNU Emacs; the xemacs
port installs XEmacs.  They are completely separate projects.  Vim, on
the other hand, is one project, and the GUI is part of it.  There is no
such thing as "xvim".  (Also I believe the emacs port installs GNU Emacs
*with a GUI*, the no-GUI version is at emacs-nox11).

Firas