Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:25:21 -0500
From:      "Chad Day" <cday@atpco.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installation problems and NIC problems..

2 problems, the more major one first.

Trying to install Freebsd 4.2 from an ISO image + boot floppies.. install
goes fine, I make my partitions, use the FreeBSD boot loader, all is well.
When my system boots, I pick FreeBSD (my only OS on this system), and it
returns:

No /boot/loader

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Invalid format

After this I tried setting it up where FreeBSD was the entire partition and
used the standard option when it asked for the boot manager bit.. the same
thing happened, no /boot/loader .. so I'm obviously doing something very
wrong somewhere.

2nd problem -- NIC card

When I first go through the installation process, putting in the floppies
and all, it does not seem to recognize my NIC card right.  The card is a PCI
3c905b fast etherlink card, something that is listed in the hardware
compatibility list.  When I go into the kernel configuration, there are a
bunch of NIC drivers listed that have nothing to do with that card, and
report conflicts (7 conflicts).   I remove all those, leaving me nothing
under the network section, freeing up all the conflicts, figuring I'll take
care of the card once I get booted and all.  But since I can never do that,
I don't get that far.

The error it pops up (as much as I could get, as it scrolls by quickly)
after I put in the MFS floppy and do the kernel configuration is:

xl0: irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
xl0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach: xl0 returned 6

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am quite stuck. :(

Thanks,
Chad