Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:51:06 +0100
From:      Martin Moeller <mm@bsdsi.com>
To:        Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System abused by spammer?

* Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua> [28.03.03 10:37]:
> There is relay_based_on_MX feature in Sendmail.  Check if your
> Sendmail has this feature off, also check if that spammer specified
> your system as MX for his/her domain.

Hi, Andrey!
Thanks for your response. I've taken a look into my sendmail 'mc' file
and found this:

----- BEGIN SNIP -----

divert(0)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.27 2002/10/16
22:52:56 keramida Exp $')
OSTYPE(freebsd5)
DOMAIN(generic)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

dnl Uncomment to allow relaying based on your MX records.
dnl NOTE: This can allow sites to use your server as a backup MX without
dnl       your permission.
dnl FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)

----- END SNIP -----

Looks as if it's disabled.

newbie_question()
{
    BTW, how can I check if somebody specifies me as his MX? ;-)
}

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Möller <mm at bsdsi.com>        http://www.bsdsi.com/
GnuPG/PGP DSA ID: 0x3C979285                  ICQ # 82221572