Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:09:41 -0800
From:      Chris Knight <merlin@ghostwheel.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't mount root.  Really need help...

Greetings,

  I have learned a very valuable lesson.  No matter how many time I have
made world, I shouldn't do it while I'm tired.  Last night I synced my tree
and made world.  I rebooted, and was going to remake my kernel after the
boot.  That became an impossibility.

After the the message "Waiting 15 seconds fopr SCSI devices to settle", and
before the listing of my SCSI devices is this ominous message:

ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvperror 6: panic: cannot mount root (2)

At the end of the SCSI device listing, the system starts a reboot.

Any help in either understanding what happened or getting the box back
online appreciated!

-ck