Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 15:33:24 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, Well Educated <nospam@nospam.nospam.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: typo in FreeBSD-SA-02:27.rc

Matthew Hunt wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:12:04PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > It's the content, not the form, which is important in messages, folks.
>
> Just as we make a specific effort to write "FreeBSD" instead of "Free BSD",
> "freebsd", or "FreeBDS" (as often seen on mailing lists) in our official
> communications, and indeed have standardized on "FreeBSD.org" instead of
> "freebsd.org", we should respect the wishes of other software authors,
> and refer to their work in the way that they prefer.
>
> Failure to do so indicates that we are ignorant of their wishes or that
> we are dissmissing them as irrelevant.  Neither perception flatters us.

Totally unlike public flame-fests about spelling, calling attention
to the error, making *certain* that people who might otherwise not
have seen it and remain unoffended by the mistake, are dragged kicking
and screaming into things, right?

I think a simple note to the author (instead of a mailing lists) would
have accomplished what you *claim* should be accomplished, as opposed
to what you appear to really be attempting to accomplish.  8^p.

-- Terry