Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:43:26 +0200
From:      Clemens Renner <claim@rinux.net>
To:        Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port scan from Apache?

Hi Nash,

I'm not sure I really understand what you're up to. In any case, let me
clarify that my whole intention was to get a better understanding of
what had happened there. In the end, I don't want my server to produce
alarms at other people's sites. I tried to find the cause of the problem
on my side and couldn't, thus I suggested a working hypothesis to the
complaining (yes he was complaining) admin.

So my question which you cited below was really about the criteria that
need to be met for the NetScreen hw/sw to classify something as a port
scan. Pure diagnostic information.

As I mentioned earlier, the admin hasn't contacted me since I posted my
hypothesis with the web mailer which I don't quite like either because
I'd prefer a message that says

"It's alright, it wasn't your fault."

or

"We still don't know what's wrong. Can you investigate further using
this pile of low-level details?"

Of course I'd prefer the first one since it means less work for me but
the second one would also be fine with me. And on a last note: I didn't
mean to be sneaky, I just wanted some advice as to the origins since I
thought I might have missed something. For that, this list seemed
appropriate to me.

Best wishes
Clemens