Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:24:45 +0930
From:      "Martin Minkus" <diskiller@diskiller.net>
To:        "Gerald Heinig" <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone out there ?

I subscribed to this list a few days ago, and after hearing nothing but
crickets (and the occasional NT server reboot far off in the distance) i
thought it was time to shake the stick, and see what response i can get ;)
Seems good so far :-)

I have a Sun IPX, and Sun SparcServer 10 (both of which i picked up for free
recently).

Okay.

I believe the website (http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/freebsd-sparc/)
shows there was a bias to simply develop for PCI based Ultra's (Sparc64
port?), which i definately have no access to. (Unless i can steal one from
my university ;-)

It appears there are several people with the older 32bit Sparcs on this
list, but they don't have any coding experience. I do, but only in
userspace, though i've been slowly trying to make my move up into the kernel
:)

It appears there would have to be two seperate ports, FreeBSD/sparc, and
FreeBSD/sparc64, but only differing in the kernel, the userspace would be
the same? This appears to be what Linux (I just read the UltraLinux website)
have done, and so has Net and OpenBSD.

I have little experience with the sparc architecture, so i'm unaware of the
differences (between Sparc and Sparc64), but if the two are vastly
different, we'll have two maintain two seperate porting efforts... (OpenBSD
has done this, but the Sparc64 port has lagged and/or is dead)

The linux kernel also seems to do some funky shit like binary patch itself
on boot ... :/

PROMLIB: Sun Boot Prom Version 3 Revision 2
Linux version 2.2.14-5.0 (root@lisa.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Tue Mar 7 20
:54:26 EST 2000
ARCH: SUN4M
TYPE: Sun4m SparcStation10/20
Ethernet address: 8:0:20:1d:c7:d7
Boot time fixup v1.6. 4/Mar/98 Jakub Jelinek (jj@ultra.linux.cz). Patching
kernel for srmmu[TI Viking]/iommu
[0]: v[f0000000,f1000000](1000000) p[00000000]
[1]: v[f4000000,f5000000](1000000) p[04000000]
[2]: v[f8000000,f9000000](1000000) p[08000000]
[3]: v[fc000000,fcf5e000](f5e000) p[0c000000]
SRMMU: Compact physical memory. Using strightforward VA<->PA translations.
Found CPU 0 <node=ffd4b120,mid=8>
Found 1 CPU prom device tree node(s).
Power off control detected.
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 39.94 BogoMIPS
Memory: 60892k available (1180k kernel code, 2692k data, 124k init)
[f0000000,fd000000]

... and so on.

In any case, for myself, i'm probably just going to continue learning about
kernel space, and meddling with the Sparc kernel code in Net/OpenBSD and
eventually see what i can do about FreeBSD porting. I won't be able to help
with Sparc64 at all i don't believe.

martin.