Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:11:15 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, mbr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devel/fam missing boot (rc.d/fam.sh)?

--=-LNW8umu+YjwwLQqAugPv

Clint Olsen p=ED=B9e v =FAt 20. 09. 2005 v 14:05 -0700:

> Thanks for the hint.  However, since this was installed as a=20
> prerequisite for the GNOME operating system (via portinstall), are we=20
> supposed to examine every dependent package's pkg-message to find out=20
> what we missed?
>=20
> It would seem like you would want it to install it in one form or=20
> another and allow the user to change it if that's not the preferred=20
> method.  At least in that case you get a working daemon out of the box.=20
>   It seems to jive with spirit of the more automated portinstall method.

When gnome2 port is finished installing, it prints a short message
containing http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/ link. If you go there and click
FAQ, one of the entry deals with FAM and points to that pkg-message.

Yes it's a bit cumbersome.

We (FreeBSE GNOME Team) is hoping to move soon to gamin, an alternative
fam implementation, which works out of the box.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

And now something completely different.