Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:10:48 +0900
From:      YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+fbsd@les.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI 1030 mpt doesn't work if I build a new kernel

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 03:59:03PM -0500, Bruce Burden wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:16:01PM +0900, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
> >
> > Recently I tried installing FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on an IBM X335 in my
> > office and tried to upgrade to 6.2-PRERELEASE, and found that although
> > it doesn't hang or panic during boot, running I/O intensive applications
> > (including buildworld) ends up in an I/O error, and eventually panicked and
> > rebooted.
> >
> 	This would be best on -STABLE, which the 6x thread is. Anyway,

But I found that the snapshot from September 5 still has the similar
issue, so I'd imagine that the driver in -CURRENT still has the problem,
though I'm speaking without knowing how much changes have been made since
the last MFC.  I need to set up a machine which can build current -CURRENT
to be sure.

>    I have:
[snip]
> FreeBSD tigerfish2.my.domain 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #6: Sun Aug 27 11:03:43 CDT 2006

Thanks for the suggestion, I put mine at
  http://les.ath.cx/FreeBSD/mpt/

>    and have not had any problems with the mpt device. The controller is
>    built into the Tyan S2895/Thunder K8WE board.
>
> 	I am not using the Seagate drive - it will be used to hold the
>    AMD64 installation when I get around to doing that, while the IBM
>    drive will continue to hold the i386 install if I need to switch
>    back. The RAID holds user data, and is not an issue when performing
>    kernel builds.
>
> 	Have you tried to install the 6.1 release from CD/DVD?

Not yet, but I doubt it'll make it through to the end because of the
I/O error issue.

Cheers.