Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2017 11:22:50 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

On Sat, 2017-11-25 at 12:54 +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> (top posting corrected here)
>

> > On 24 November 2017 at 08:47, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > fortune(6) is listed in ring bound 4.3BSD System Index.
> > > Butchering on personal whim without prior agreement seems abuse.
> > > BSD should be [temporarily] reverted & the commit bit suspended,
> > > pending commiters' peer review of an un-authorised deletion.
> > > Then decide what what to do with fortune.
> >
> > hi,
> > Pardon me, but it's 2017 and the 4.3BSD system index isn't an immutable bible.
> > As a general push to packaging things in general, turning fortune into
> > a package seems like some low hanging fruit.
> > -adrian
> I avoided expressing opinion on where fortune might best be, to
> avoid distraction from the point:
>
> Commit bits are a privilege.  Contentious commits forced through
> before discussion, should by policy be automaticaly reverted,
> & committers bit suspended, pending committer peer review - Not with
> reference to the desirability or otherwise of a commit, but for
> imposing on FreeBSD without prior discussion.
>
> Commiter conduct reviews should be seperate from
> discussion of desirability of a contentious commit.

I'm not sure why you think you're qualified to comment on what policy
is, but let me assure you that virtually everything you've ever said on
the subject on the freebsd mailing lists is wrong.  People reading this
thread should not make the mistake of thinking that you are associated
with the project in any way or speak authoratatively about the project
and its policies.

-- Ian