Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:16:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Robert Perreault <rjp773@mail.usask.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help or direct to help

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Robert Perreault wrote:

> Robert Perreault
> Return Email Address: rjp773@mail.usask.ca

Wow... Another U of S FreeBSD patron.  I'm impressed :-)

> I'm having problems making a customized kernel for my system.
> I used GENERIC as a template in building my own kernel, removing
> all the unneeded(I think) devices and controllers.  I added in
> some devices and controllers for my soundcard and joystick.
> The kernel compiled and booted fine but there were problems:
>
> 1)  When attempting to play sounds(WAV, MP3), all that came out
>     of the speakers was garbage(static and noise).

Hmm.... It would be really helpful if you included full dmesg output.
Sometimes sound cards are detected strangely.

> 2)  X-Windows failed to start due to an initialization problem
>     with the mouse.

Again, dmesg output would help, here.  Does the mouse daemon function at
the console? Can you cut and paste text?

> 3)  When attempting to run /stand/sysinstall it terminated after
>     probing for devices with what seemed to be a dump of garbage
>     to STDIN.  Most of the garbage looked like C style hex numbers
>     (i.e.  0xSOMENUMBERS) and when pressing return after the fail
>     it would try to run the garbage as programs.

Hmm... Without seeing the output itself, I can't say anything for
certain. Perhaps you have some device conflicts somewhere?  Or perhaps
you have specified some IRQs/addresses incorrectly?  Your config file
looks like a 3.x system.  Are you running a -STABLE?  Or is that
3.3-RELEASE?  I don't recall reading any PRs for -STABLE in regards to
sound lately.

Have you tried Luigi's sound code?  In my experience, it is sometimes
better at detecting and using off-brand sound cards.  Read the details in
LINT and take the snd0 stuff out completely.  I use the following:

device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
device pca0 at isa? port "IO_TIMER1" tty

Works well for many sound cards I've tried, including new Creative
offerings, many on-board "compatible" chips, and chipsets from some really
weird vendors. I haven't had any direct experience with ACER sound card
offerings. If it still won't work, you might just plainly have an
unsupported sound card. It happens.  $30 and a phillips screwdriver can
generally remedy that, though. :-)

If someone here hasn't run with one of those cards, you might want to
search the mailing list archives if you haven't already.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2